PR & Communications Manager
Elevate is Canada’s largest tech and innovation festival. We’re a community driven festival that brings together world-class speakers, international media, emerging and scaling startups, forward-thinking corporates and top investors to help raise the profile of the Canadian tech and innovation ecosystem.
Diversity is our strength: We think that diversity is a tremendous source of strength and that our communities, workplaces, and governments are made stronger by including the voices of everyone.
Disrupt together: We know that collaboration is key to fueling our innovation ecosystem. By partnering with and building off of each other, Canada can win on the global stage.
It’s our time: We believe that global ideas live here. As a leader in artificial intelligence, fintech and blockchain, quantum computing, healthcare, and more, Canada is on the leading edge of the technologies that are shaping tomorrow.
With over 10,000 expected attendees, 250 speakers and over 100 different venues for 2018, we’re growing fast. We’re looking for talented and ambitious people to help execute an exciting vision with our growing team.
We’re looking for:
We are looking for a robust Communications Manager to work directly with our programming and marketing team to lead all aspects of Elevate’s communications strategy including the development of content across all digital platforms, recruiting national and international media to attend & cover Elevate, developing long term communication & content strategies and leading our crisis communications strategy.
You’ll build and maintain relationships with key journalists, influencers, analysts and external stakeholders. Your superior writing skills, attention to detail and ability to think two-steps ahead is unparalleled, and you have a depth of technology knowledge with strong focus and interest in digital and social media. A background and familiarity with the Toronto tech and innovation ecosystem is a huge plus.
Ultimately, you’ll produce engaging content that connects with our audience and boosts engagement with our brand while ensuring top tier national and international media attend and write about Elevate.
Request: Please share samples of your work by including either a portfolio or links to your published articles along with your application.
- Recruit national and international media to attend and cover Elevate
- Develop and drive our event products from a PR perspective, such as speaker announcements & content track promotion
- Work with programming lead to create content themes and secure media speaking roles
- Manage editorial calendar and ensure consistent messaging across multiple platforms, including but not limited to email, website, social, blog
- Manage all media throughout the festival including sending daily media briefing emails, creating online press kit, facilitating interviews and managing media desk
- Develop editorial content and marketing copy to promote the festival
- Proofread, re-structure and edit content produced by our team
- Optimize published pieces using SEO guidelines, monitor web traffic and user engagement (e.g. bounce rates)
- Develop long term communication strategy for Elevate 2018 and beyond
- Develop crisis communication plan for duration of festival
Qualifications and Skills
- 5+ years of relevant work experience as a Communications Manager or similar role
- BA in Marketing, Journalism, Communications or related field
- Portfolio of published work
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills, demonstrated experience framing content for diverse audiences and comfort creating new materials
- Attention to detail and strong copy-editing skills
- Familiarity with SEO and keyword research
- Demonstrates strong initiative, enthusiasm and creativity
- Possession of design and video editing skills a bonus
- Is a lover of social media with proven track record of building online audiences either personal or professional
Working at Elevate isn’t a job. It’s a journey.
Everyone who works at Elevate is on a mission. A mission to show the world that Canada is a global leader in tech and innovation; that we’re on the cutting edge. That we’re diverse and inclusive. That it’s our time.
Below are some of the benefits you'll receive:
- Opportunity to grow. As an ambitious start-up, you’ll have tons of opportunity to learn and grow.
- Build your network. You’ll get to work with some of tech’s best and brightest
- Festival access. You’ll get front row seats to Canada’s biggest tech fest.
- Dog friendly office. We’re in the heart of King West (with bottomless coffee & a nap room).
- Health spending account. We let you decide how to best prioritize your health and wellness.
- Flexible work-life. We trust you to know your schedule and work when you feel most productive.
Deadline: Applications for this position will close Friday, May 25th at 11:59 p.m.